Skip to main content

Merv on Tuesday

Okay this was going to be a Merv on Monday post but I ran out of time yesterday! Merv has been having the world's longest moult - he's been itchy and cross for months as his winter fluff has been shedding out. I guess the variable temperatures really haven't helped matters. He's also been going alarmingly blonde, causing me to ponder the question do goats get like their owners or do owners get like their goats? Well I was blonde way before him.

Thankfully a lot of his coat has now shed although he's retained a blonde gruff and also what looks like 70's style shaggy chaps on his back legs. I have told him he looks like he's auditioning for a spot in a Village People tribute act, I half expect him to burst into a rendition of YMCA when I go down there!

Quite whether these creations will stay or not only time will tell, we're all just relieved he's not as cross and itchy as he has been. He still enjoys a side helping of my pocket at teatime too!

Popular posts from this blog

Some new arrivals!

I'm a little bit in love with Silkie chickens! They aren't a breed I'd ever kept until earlier this year when I was a bit spontaneous and bought two bantams at auction. Sadly I lost little Cappuccino but still have her sister Latte. Although Latte is gregarious she has spent a lot of time on her own over the summer so I thought it would be nice to get her a couple of friends. Enter Mocha and Milkshake, both a rather fetching chocolate colour with black pom-poms. Thankfully they seem to get on well with Latte, you can never tell, birds are no different to people in that they don't all gel or get on because they're the same species! After a bit of a quarantine period they've been gradually introduced to the rest of the flock and are fitting in nicely.

The perils of driving on rural roads

If I were to pick one downside of living where I do it would be the need to own a car and have to drive. I'm around 20 minutes away from the nearest town, and sadly in the time I've lived here the village has lost all it's amenities. We no longer have a shop, post office or pub, so even a hermit like me has to venture out into the wider world. I've been driving for around twenty years and honestly I think the standard on the road now is appalling. I'm not just talking about the cheap, infrequent maintenance either. The way people drive is downright dangerous. Until two years ago when I got injured I used to run 10km on the roads three or four times a week. Being responsible I always wore HiVis and ran towards the traffic as there are no pavements. It was always blatantly obvious when oncoming drivers weren't paying attention and hadn't seen me. Many times I was forced to jump into the bank to avoid being run over, and they looked surprised when they did se...

Open Reach and the saga of rural internet

Blog posts have been a bit thin on the ground due to me having poor or no internet again. This year has been a real battle for us to get internet that's usable. I live in quite a rural location still serviced by copper lines put in when home phones were quite new. Both myself and my nearest neighbours are used to a rolling saga of issues every time it rains even remotely hard with bits of the road having to be dug up because of water in the joints. Our line is pretty shallow and several times that's also been damaged by farmers digging drainage channels into the ditch network. Then there's the ongoing saga of "the hedge"; apparently there is a joint where my neighbours line spurs off from mine under a big hedge. So frightening is the horticultural beast that no Open Reach engineer will tackle the excavation of the thing. In reality a pair of loppers and a spade would probably do the trick but of course it's all health and safety these days - if you can't...