Skip to main content

When sheep go rogue - The hidden dangers of sheep

Most people think of sheep as docile woolly creatures that hang around in fields. I think the consensus among the general public is sheep eat grass and lay down, and that's all they do. Well sheep are surprisingly characterful and are actually very boisterous things, both amongst themselves and with you.

I am frequently covered in various bruises, feeding times I'm basically a human skittle. Get in amongst sheep with a bag of food and you'll know about it. Willow has terrible spatial awareness issues and has frequently hit the back of my legs with the force of a truck trying to get to the food. Put it this way, they won't stand on ceremony.

The smaller varieties of sheep will also jump up, it's not been uncommon for me to be wandering about with muddy hoof prints on my bum. And they will quite often ask for attention, or a scratch, in the only way they know how, which is a friendly butt.

A friendly butt is uncomfortable and non friendly one bloody hurts. Mitten did go through a really odd aggressive stage to the point I had to take a shepherd's crook with me when I went down because the possibility of my leg getting broken was quite high. I need to point out here, in case people jump to conclusions, a crook is not used to hit sheep. It's used to catch them, or guide them, or in my case I'd use it in front or behind my leg as a block.

Mitten is a wether - castrate - so considerably less aggressive than a ram, and rams can do you serious damage. It always concerns me a bit when I hear knitters dreamily planning flocks of sheep for the purposes of making bespoke yarn, and I would implore you please spend time with someone with sheep before jumping in. Sheep are strong, they can be boisterous, and keeping them often isn't as easy as you think. I have known people start a flock and those animals quickly end up advertised and probably in someone's freezer.

Sheep have a hierarchy within the flock and will reinforce this by shoving each other and I often see mine play fighting. Even ewes will happily shove each other out of the way, and older or ill animals bear the brunt. Some sheep can be bullies to others just like chickens can.

I do like mine to see me as the source of something good, so they get treats. Just be warned if you do this they will start to mug you, chew pockets, and in my case last night Parsley got over enthusiastic and bit my bum. Sheep may only have bottom teeth but it still hurts! Normally if I was clicker training I train animals not to mug for food, but it's very difficult to separate sheep to give you the necessary space to do this, so I'm aware what hand feeding can lead to. You must make sure to never reinforce that behaviour.

So next time you pass a field of sheep just remember, they're not always the benign woolly things you're led to believe - sheep bite too!

Popular posts from this blog

Climate, anxiety and depression - a post from the heart

Sometimes I feel like I can't bear to open my eyes and look at the world because I'm so deeply ashamed to be a human being and worried about what's going on. Much as I try to believe in the goodness and humanity in people I am finding it hard to hold onto that faith right now. I think most of the scientific community, barring those who've received a nice sum of money from the fossil fuel barons, agree about climate change. I certainly would never call myself any kind of expert, some of my degree was about planetary science, but like a growing number I feel climate change has probably been vastly underestimated and will be quicker than people think. There are an awful lot of people thinking "it won't happen in my lifetime" who are probably going to be surprised, and not pleasantly so. We actually live below sea level here so I'm very aware of our vulnerability. But it's not just about me, I feel very powerless when I read of people in other part

How I Wash Fleeces for Spinning

I use some of the fleeces from my sheep to spin into yarn, and through a process of trial and error have come up with a preparation process that works for me. I don't like to over complicate things, so try and keep preparation to a minimum. I sort the locks into baskets, making sure I keep all the tips and cut ends aligned, this helps save time later on. I arrange them in layers until the baskets are full. I do three baskets at a time to save on water. I then put two buckets in the bath and fill with hot water, it has to be as hot as you can as that helps the lanolin come out. Have them both the same temperature to avoid felting. One bucket just has a squeeze of ordinary washing up liquid in it. I'm not looking to scour the fleece completely, I just like it clean enough to be able to spin. I try to keep some lanolin in there as I don't see the point of removing it all then having to spray oil back on the help spinning. I submerge a basket in the soapy water for a

Open Reach and the saga of rural internet

Blog posts have been a bit thin on the ground due to me having poor or no internet again. This year has been a real battle for us to get internet that's usable. I live in quite a rural location still serviced by copper lines put in when home phones were quite new. Both myself and my nearest neighbours are used to a rolling saga of issues every time it rains even remotely hard with bits of the road having to be dug up because of water in the joints. Our line is pretty shallow and several times that's also been damaged by farmers digging drainage channels into the ditch network. Then there's the ongoing saga of "the hedge"; apparently there is a joint where my neighbours line spurs off from mine under a big hedge. So frightening is the horticultural beast that no Open Reach engineer will tackle the excavation of the thing. In reality a pair of loppers and a spade would probably do the trick but of course it's all health and safety these days - if you can't