Skip to main content

A horse in love....

I'm currently in the midst of the equine version of Love Island, and it's not much fun! I keep Star on her own as she can be food aggressive, plus I only have funds to give one horse a good life. However my neighbour also keeps horses so Star can see them over the fence. For the past 11 years Star has been having an on/off thing with Ted, a very handsome ex eventer.

Star's normal MO when I take her to see Ted is make an almighty fuss snorting, puffing, and generally being a bit difficult with me to get Ted's attention, he comes to the fence and says hello, whereby Star then totally ignores him apart from looking coyly under her eyelashes. To say she's a bit of a madam is an understatement!

Last year a stallion got loose from the village and found Star, her idea of flirting was to show him her bum then when her went to sniff her she tried to double barrel him in the chest, taking out the electric fencing. The local police were called to that particular incident, but I suppose I should be grateful at least it wasn't Merv causing trouble for once.

Anyway last week a rather minxy looking seal brown horse appeared in the field with Ted, I know sometimes my neighbour looks after horses for people who are away, but Star was most put out about this turn of events. She's spent a week huffing and puffing and generally sulking by the bottom fence. I think the issue is she doesn't want Ted, but she doesn't want anyone else to have him either.

It turns out the new horse, Beanie, is hopefully going to be there permanently as a friend for Ted, so I'm hoping Star's mood eventually wears off. To complicate things further Beanie has taken a fancy to one of the younger ponies so it's become some strange equine love quadrangle now. Who needs TV when you have all this going on over your fence!

Popular posts from this blog

The perils of driving on rural roads

If I were to pick one downside of living where I do it would be the need to own a car and have to drive. I'm around 20 minutes away from the nearest town, and sadly in the time I've lived here the village has lost all it's amenities. We no longer have a shop, post office or pub, so even a hermit like me has to venture out into the wider world. I've been driving for around twenty years and honestly I think the standard on the road now is appalling. I'm not just talking about the cheap, infrequent maintenance either. The way people drive is downright dangerous. Until two years ago when I got injured I used to run 10km on the roads three or four times a week. Being responsible I always wore HiVis and ran towards the traffic as there are no pavements. It was always blatantly obvious when oncoming drivers weren't paying attention and hadn't seen me. Many times I was forced to jump into the bank to avoid being run over, and they looked surprised when they did se...

Some new arrivals!

I'm a little bit in love with Silkie chickens! They aren't a breed I'd ever kept until earlier this year when I was a bit spontaneous and bought two bantams at auction. Sadly I lost little Cappuccino but still have her sister Latte. Although Latte is gregarious she has spent a lot of time on her own over the summer so I thought it would be nice to get her a couple of friends. Enter Mocha and Milkshake, both a rather fetching chocolate colour with black pom-poms. Thankfully they seem to get on well with Latte, you can never tell, birds are no different to people in that they don't all gel or get on because they're the same species! After a bit of a quarantine period they've been gradually introduced to the rest of the flock and are fitting in nicely.

Merv on Monday

The little rascal hasn't been on for a while due to one thing and another. I'd like to say he's got better behaved in the interim but sadly that's not the case. He still thinks he's King of everything, and needs to keep the sheep in line. I try to reward him for standing on his platform, where he's out of the way and can't cause mischief, but he seems to have learned to jump up and get a treat, then jump off and butt sheep. The little blighter is always one step ahead of me, don't be fooled by the angelic face!