Skip to main content

The perils of driving on rural roads

If I were to pick one downside of living where I do it would be the need to own a car and have to drive. I'm around 20 minutes away from the nearest town, and sadly in the time I've lived here the village has lost all it's amenities. We no longer have a shop, post office or pub, so even a hermit like me has to venture out into the wider world.

I've been driving for around twenty years and honestly I think the standard on the road now is appalling. I'm not just talking about the cheap, infrequent maintenance either. The way people drive is downright dangerous. Until two years ago when I got injured I used to run 10km on the roads three or four times a week. Being responsible I always wore HiVis and ran towards the traffic as there are no pavements. It was always blatantly obvious when oncoming drivers weren't paying attention and hadn't seen me. Many times I was forced to jump into the bank to avoid being run over, and they looked surprised when they did see me at the last minute. Considering I was decked out like a fluorescent Christmas tree I had to wonder where they were actually looking.

I don't know if it's just me but a lot of people now seem to have an attention span of virtually nothing, which is not good for road safety. They don't look at give way signs, roundabouts, it's like if they don't look then they can't see you so can just carry on.

A particular issue on rural roads is speed. I stopped taking Star on the roads because of people speeding, and just because a country road has an arbitrary limit of 60 it doesn't mean the actual road is safe for that speed. Where I am the roads over time tend to collapse towards the huge dykes and it's not uncommon here to see cars in the ditches or fields because they've been travelling much too fast for the road.

Apart from the issue of concentration another thing that really concerns me is impatience. This week I got stuck behind a tractor on a very winding piece of road, the person behind me wasn't prepared to wait to overtake, tried to go past coming up to a blind bend and was nearly hit by an oncoming car. That person, a woman, had a young child in the car. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is worth that kind of silly risk, but it's like these people think they're impervious.

Unfortunately there's several stretches of road near me where people regularly die in car crashes and sadly many children have lost their lives there too. In those circumstances it's not just the families who are deeply affected, it's the emergency services who have to clear up the mess, the mental health professionals who have to deal with the aftermath, and I can personally tell you there is nothing you can say to a person who's been in a car crash that will rationalise it or make it better, all you really can do is listen. That will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Impatience and aggression often go hand in hand, and it's not just males, females can be as bad. I'm not sure when we as a society became like this, it's not healthy though. I generally leave for all appointments early, so I can take the time it takes and I don't spend my day feeling anxious about not being on time. I'm a very easy going person who rarely loses my temper, and I will be honest when I've been on my own in the car and subject to aggression I've felt frightened. One example was a chap behind me one time when although the traffic lights were on green I couldn't go anywhere as the box junction was blocked. I honestly thought he was going to drag me out of the car and attack me, I think it's a sign of something deeply amiss that something as inconsequential can cause such rage in a person.

I don't think traffic offences are taken seriously enough by the law, I did come in contact with someone who thought being sent on speed awareness courses was something funny and to be proud of. It's about time people started to take driving seriously, rather than something to be taken for granted, it should be a privilege rather than a right to be on the roads.

Popular posts from this blog

Climate, anxiety and depression - a post from the heart

Sometimes I feel like I can't bear to open my eyes and look at the world because I'm so deeply ashamed to be a human being and worried about what's going on. Much as I try to believe in the goodness and humanity in people I am finding it hard to hold onto that faith right now. I think most of the scientific community, barring those who've received a nice sum of money from the fossil fuel barons, agree about climate change. I certainly would never call myself any kind of expert, some of my degree was about planetary science, but like a growing number I feel climate change has probably been vastly underestimated and will be quicker than people think. There are an awful lot of people thinking "it won't happen in my lifetime" who are probably going to be surprised, and not pleasantly so. We actually live below sea level here so I'm very aware of our vulnerability. But it's not just about me, I feel very powerless when I read of people in other part

How I Wash Fleeces for Spinning

I use some of the fleeces from my sheep to spin into yarn, and through a process of trial and error have come up with a preparation process that works for me. I don't like to over complicate things, so try and keep preparation to a minimum. I sort the locks into baskets, making sure I keep all the tips and cut ends aligned, this helps save time later on. I arrange them in layers until the baskets are full. I do three baskets at a time to save on water. I then put two buckets in the bath and fill with hot water, it has to be as hot as you can as that helps the lanolin come out. Have them both the same temperature to avoid felting. One bucket just has a squeeze of ordinary washing up liquid in it. I'm not looking to scour the fleece completely, I just like it clean enough to be able to spin. I try to keep some lanolin in there as I don't see the point of removing it all then having to spray oil back on the help spinning. I submerge a basket in the soapy water for a

Open Reach and the saga of rural internet

Blog posts have been a bit thin on the ground due to me having poor or no internet again. This year has been a real battle for us to get internet that's usable. I live in quite a rural location still serviced by copper lines put in when home phones were quite new. Both myself and my nearest neighbours are used to a rolling saga of issues every time it rains even remotely hard with bits of the road having to be dug up because of water in the joints. Our line is pretty shallow and several times that's also been damaged by farmers digging drainage channels into the ditch network. Then there's the ongoing saga of "the hedge"; apparently there is a joint where my neighbours line spurs off from mine under a big hedge. So frightening is the horticultural beast that no Open Reach engineer will tackle the excavation of the thing. In reality a pair of loppers and a spade would probably do the trick but of course it's all health and safety these days - if you can't